Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Getting Personal

   I wasn't actually intending to write today, but I am convulsing just a bit over the following comments by Rep. Diane Black (R-TN) on her facebook page:

Starting today the Obama administration’s requirement that all insurance plans cover contraceptives and abortion-inducing drugs — the HHS mandate — goes into effect. I spoke at a press conference earlier today with fellow members of the freshmen class about this violation of our religious freedom. We must continue the fight to overturn this unconstitutional mandate! Every American, regardless of your religious beliefs, should be outraged by the administration’s willingness to trample on our first amendment rights. If we do not stand up and make our voices heard, it is only a matter of time before even more of our liberties are taken away by the government. SHARE & LIKE this post if you believe we must stop the Obama administration’s assault on religious freedom!
   In the post I just made yesterday, I talked about my experience with the drug Misoprostol.  Misoprostol is an abortion-inducing drug, and thankfully it was covered by my husband's employer's insurance.  My child was dead, but my only alternatives were wait it out, have surgery (D&C), or take a pill (Misoprostol) that would help me deliver.  So, let's visit the options, shall we?  I could wait around for a month or two for my body, which very much thought everything was fine and was full of pregnancy-sustaining hormones; have someone poke around in my uterus with a vacuum; or take a pill for a few days that would induce labor that would eventually occur anyway when my body figured out that "Wait, we're not sustaining a life anymore."  The choice was obvious for me, and I'm certain it's obvious for countless other women put in these terrible situations. 
   My family has a safety cushion for emergencies, and we would have been ready to tap into it if our insurance had not paid for it.  Thankfully, we didn't have to.  But what about some women who might not have that resource who decide to just wait so they don't have to eat into their family's grocery budget?  Why should this drug be considered any differently than any other life-improving or life-sustaining drug out there?
   I keep hearing the argument about religious freedom.  I believe in that, too!  One's right to religious freedom is sacred, but it is no more sacred than what goes on in a woman's womb.  My appreciation for reproductive choice existed to some extent before my experience, but it increased greatly after my experience.  I thought "How terrible would it be if I didn't just have to deal with the tragedy of my child dying inside of me but also had to deal with jumping through a bunch of bureaucratic hoops to get the care I need?"  A woman should not be accountable to some bureaucrat for her choices on what she does or does not do with her uterus.  No one has a greater stake in what goes on in her uterus than the woman who owns said uterus!
   I'm certain I will have more to rant about regarding this specific topic at a later time.  In the meantime, what do you think about the debates surrounding this issue?      

No comments:

Post a Comment