Thursday, August 9, 2012

New Bones on Deck

   Yesterday, I went to meet with the Executive Director of the LIFE Resource Center.  They actually badly need someone to come in and be the receptionist on Tuesdays.  Right now, they are running the ship with a skeleton crew -- just three volunteers all told including the director, a counselor, and their admin person.  I cannot adequately express my excitement at the prospect of volunteering with this agency.  They are doing so much to prevent child abuse, and I consider it an honor to help.  I have to wait a couple of weeks for my background check to be completed, but as soon as it's done I can begin.  The director told me they are between grants, so she's very receptive to the idea of me doing fundraising and publicity.  This organization once had 31 employees, and now they are down to zero.  Thank God there are people that are still keeping things going even without pay. 
   Besides just being excited to take part in something so incredibly important and dear to my heart, I am thrilled to have an opportunity to get back to work.  Yes, it's just one day a week, but I think it will be good for my spirit to have the opportunity to be of service to people outside of my home.  Not to mention, it's always good for a mama's spirit to get an occasional break from her small child.  Ooh, and I actually get to wear my work clothes again!  That may sound ridiculous, but I am a bit excited about that.
   I am amazed when I think about the journey I am on.  It's only been a month and a half or so, but I am world's apart from where I was.  I feel so blessed that I was able to get the motivation to exercise and thus not only avoid medication but start working towards valuable goals.  I am also deeply blessed in that I have such a loving and supportive husband and mother, because without them none of these dreams would be coming true.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment